Saturday 4 October 2014

Den Building in Plessey Woods

Yesterday was a teacher training day for both my children and I love these odd days as it gives us a break from the madness of the school routine.  We decided to make the most of this free day and head to Plessey Woods with my parents. Plessey Woods is halfway between Cramlington and Bedlington and is just off the A192, its very well signposted.  There are 100 acres of beautiful woodland to explore and it is a wonderful place to burn off some children energy.

The initial plan was to look for conkers, my kids are obsessed with conker hunting at the moment and they love foraging in woods for them.  However, as we wandered through the trees (or magical forest as they call it) we came across a couple of dens!  They had been started by some hardy folk and they had done a marvellous job.  Eva and Luca decided they needed 'adding to' and so began the construction.  I was actually surprised at how strong Eva was, some of those logs were really heavy!   She enjoyed being the foreman and Luca contented himself with building campfires.  Even Ollie, my parents handsome poodle joined in. 






We had a lovely stroll through the woods to the river after our building, it was a lovely warm autumn day and the park was nice and peaceful.  We followed this with a run about in the play park.  A fabulous way to spend a few hours quality time.




We ended the day with a trip to nearby Blyth beach and a delicious ice cream from Ciccarelli's.



Blue bubblegum for Luca, chocolate for Eva, Snickers for me and Creme Brulee for my dad.  Their ice cream is fabulous and as they do not use freezers, it is all freshly made on the premises each day.  They have so many flavours it is difficult to choose, which just means a return trip for us!

Check out the website and you will be spoilt for choice.  There are lots of autumn activities coming up in Plessey Woods with lots of outdoor fun for the children.  All details are on the website above.


  

10 comments:

  1. We love den making but my girls have been obsessed with conkers lately too. I have no idea what they are going to do when they are all gone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are getting very limited now but the kids managed to find a bagful on the way home from school, I spotted a lovely way to display them using a bowl and a candle, that is the plan!

      Delete
  2. Den building and ice cream eating, what's not to love?

    Thanks for sharing. Hope you can join in with next week's #HappyDaysLinky

    Jenna at Tinyfootsteps xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it really was the perfect day and we sneaked in fish and chips too! Thanks for having me, I am sure we will do #HappyDaysLinky

      Delete
  3. Deb building is always so much fun - my kids can while away many hours that way. The blue ice cream lookk interesting too! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right, they spent ages doing it, it was a lovely, warm autumn day too! The ice cream was delicious, the colour swayed it for Luca, he wasn't bothered about the flavour, but it was yummy! #CountryKids

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great family fun day out. I love how the kids decided that the dens weren't quite finished and that they had to finish them off, it's great to see how their imagination unfolds when they do things like that I find. Those ice creams look and sound delicious, we've got a couple of shops around here that are similar but I don't think I've ever seen snickers or creme brulee flavours before! Thanks for coming along and linking up with me on Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their imaginations too, it took me ages to coax them away for a little walk! It was like stumbling on a bit of magic in those woods. I am sure we 'added' to the dens successfully! I like to just listen to the two of them talking to each other and deciding what to do. The ice cream in Ciccarelli's is amazing, they had probably about 30 flavours in there, its hard to choose! Always delicious too. Thanks for having me!

      Delete
  5. Perfect :) My boys love den building too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just sometimes the simple things that they enjoy the most? We can spend a fortune on toys and theme parks and they are just as happy throwing sticks and stones into a river!

      Delete